Results of the numerical modelling of intra-annual variability of characteristics of the hydrological regime of the Kuyalnik Liman lagoon
In order to solve the problems of diagnosis and forecast of spatial-temporal variability of hydrological characteristics of the Kuyalnik Liman (water level, salinity and temperature) which cause chemical and biological processes occurring therein, and, therefore, affect the properties of brine and therapeutic mud, a non-stationary 3D numerical hydrothermodynamic model Delft3D-FLOW was applied.
The model can be applied for research of the features and forecasting of spatial-temporal variability of hydrological characteristics of the Kuyalnik Liman under the influence of natural and anthropogenic factors forming its hydrological regime. Such opportunity is also indicated by the results of adaptation of the model to the Kuyalnik Liman conditions and its validation that are specified in this work.
The important role of accounting of small streams flowing into the liman and accurate setting of intensity of storm rainfall during modelling is also shown. It is found that at the time of storm winds with longitudinal directions in relation to the liman’s water surface, the difference of watermarks in its northern and southern parts may reach 0.35-0.4 m.
2. Deltares, 2014. Delft3D-FLOW – Simulation of multidimensional hydrodynamic flows and transport phenomena, including sediments, User Manual, Hydro-Morphodynamics, Version 3.15.34158. [pdf] Delft, The Netherlands: Deltares systems. Available at:
3. Rozengurt M.Sh. Gidrologiya i perspektivy rekonstruktsii prirodnykh resursov Odesskikh limanov [Hydrology and Prospects for Natural Resources Rearrangement in the Lagoons of the Odessa Region]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1974, 224 pp. (in Russian).
4. Timchenko V.M. Ekologo-gidrologicheskie issledovaniya vodoemov Severo-Zapadnogo Prichernomor'ya [Environmental and Hydrological Researches into the Water Bodies in the North-Western Black Sea Region]. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, Institute of Hydrobiology of NASU, 1990, 240 p. (in Russian).
5. Gopchenko E.D., Gryb O.M. Otsenka mnogoletnikh izmeneniy sostavlyayushchikh vodnogo balansa Kuyal'nitskogo limana i rekomendatsii po sokhraneniyu ego prirodnykh resursov [Assessment of the annually variations in the components of the water balance of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon and recommendations for its natural resources conservation] Aktual'nye problemy limanov severo-zapadnogo Prichernomor'ya [Topical problems of lagoons of the North-Western Black Sea Region]. (Eds: Tuchkovenko Yu.S., Gopchenko E.D.). Odessa: TES, OSENU, 2011, pp. 149-168.
6. Kapochkin B.B., Isakova J.V., Isakov M.I. K voprosu o sostoyanii Kuyal'nitskogo limana [On the matter of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon condition] Vestnik Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey – Bulletin of Hydrometeorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas, 2011, no. 1 (2), pp. 118-136 ( in Russian).
7. Adobovskiy V.V., Bogatova Yu.I. Osobennosti sovremennogo gidrologo-gidrokhimicheskogo rezhima Kuyal'nitskogo limana i prognoznaya otsenka ego sostavlyayushchikh v usloviyakh vozmozhnogo popolneniya vodoema morskimi i presnymi vodami [Aspects of the modern hydrological and hydrochemical regime of the Kuialnytskyi Liman lagoon and prognostic assessment of its components under conditions of possible reservoir replenishment with sea and free-salined waters]. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Journal, 2013, no. 13, pp. 127-137 ( in Russian).
8. Ennan A.A., Shykhalyeyev I.I., Shykhalyeyeva G. N., Adobovsky V.V., Kiryushkina A. N. Prichiny i posledstviya degradatsii Kuyal'nitskogo limana (Cevero-zapadnoe Prichernomor'e, Ukraina) [Еffects of Kuyalnik estuary degradation (Northwest Black Sea Region, Ukraine)]. Visny`k Odes`kogo nacional`nogo universy`tetu. Ximiya. – Odesa National University Herald. Chemistry, 2014. vol. 19, no 3(51), pp. 60-69 ( in Russian).
9. Tuchkovenko Yu. S. (scient. chief). Otsinka mozhlyvoho alternatyvnoho napovnennia Kuialnytskoho lymanu vodamy Chornoho moria, richky Dnister y inshykh lymaniv i vodnykh obiektiv [Assessment of possible alternate filling of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon with waters of the Black Sea, the Dnister River and another lagoons and water bodies]. Final Report, No. 0112U007605, Odessa, OSENU, 2012, pp. 149-157 (in Ukrainian).
10. Ivanov V.A., Tuchkovenko Yu.S. Applied mathematical water-quality modeling of shelf marine ecosystems. Sevastopol, Marine Hydrophysical Institute-Odessa State Environmental University, 2008, 295 p.
11. Burchard H., Baumert H. On the performance of a mixed layer model based on the k-ε turbulence closure. Journal of Geophysical Research (C5), 1995, no. 100, pp. 8523-8540.
12. Millero Frank J., Poisson Alain, Chen Chen Tung, Bradshaw Alvin L., Schleicher K. Background papers and supporting data on the International Equation of State of Seawater. Unesco technical papers in marine science, 38, 1980, Publ: 1981; 192 p.
13. Gill Adrian E. Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics. International Geophysics Series, Academic Press, 1982, vol.30. 680 p.
14. Lane A. The heat balance of the North Sea. Tech. Rep. 8, Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory, 1989, pp. 243, 254.
15. Wu Jin. The sea surface is aerodynamically rough even under light winds. Boundary layer Meteorology, 1994, no. 69, pp.149-58.
16. Chow Ven Te. Open-Channel Hydraulics. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1959, 680 p.
17. Okubo A., Ozmidov R.V. Empirical dependence of the coefficient of horizontal turbulent diffusion in the ocean on the scale of the phenomenon in question, Oceanology, 1970, No. 6, pp. 308-309.
18. Simon A.J., Kent E.C., Taylor P.K. The Southampton Oceanography Centre (SOC) Ocean-Atmosphere Heat, Momentum and Freshwater Flux Atlas. Tech. rept. Southampton Oceanography Centre, 1999, 59 p.
19. Hryb O.M. Іstorychnі vіdomostі pro shtuchne popovnennia Kuyialnytskoho lymanu vodamy іnshykh vodoim [Historical information about induced replenishment of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman lagoon with waters of another reservoirs]. Mater. Vseukr. nauk.-prakt. konf. “Lymany pіvnіchno-zakhіdnoho Prychornomoria: suchasnyi hіdroekologіchnyi stan; problemy vodnoho ta ekolohіchnoho menedzhmentu, rekomendatsii shchodo yikh vyrіshennia” [Proc. All Ukr. Scientif.-Pract. Conf. “Lagoons of the North-Western Black Sea Region: modern hydroecological conditions; problems of water and environmental management, recommendations for their resolving”]. Odesa. OSENU, 2014. pp. 61-63 (in Ukrainian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.