Examination of the ozone layer condition and level of ultraviolet irradiation within the territory of Ukraine in 2018
The paper contains the results of daily monitoring of the ozone layer condition and level of ultraviolet irradiation within the territory of Ukraine in 2018. The analysis was carried out using the values of total ozone content measured by a satellite device Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) and estimated ultraviolet values / ultraviolet index. The monitoring was implemented for a regular grid with 1̊ spatial resolution and separately for grid nodes matching the geographic grids of Ukrainian administrative centres. Most of the year total ozone values slightly differed from average long-term values and varied from 270 to 370 Dobson units (D.u.). The paper defines and establishes the reasons for two positive ozone anomalies for the period from February, 24 to March, 4 which resulted in two independent processes of ozone-rich air masses inflow from north. Advective air masses were characterized by high ozone content, which was typical for cold season. First air inflow lasted from February, 24 till February, 26 and caused ozone content increase over the north-western part of Ukraine to 490 D.u. The second inflow over the northern and western parts of Ukraine which lasted from February, 28 to March, 4 caused ozone content increase to 500 D.u. Ozone layer instability over the territory of Ukraine observed from January till April was replaced by slight ozone field variations. From May until the end of the year maximum deviations from average values did not exceed 0.5σ by absolute values. It was established that minimum and maximum ranges of ozone content values constantly changed, however, lower values were observed mainly over the eastern and south-eastern regions. Observations indicated the total ozone spread increase which is typical for seasonal increase of concentrations. Stability of ozone layer total values during the most of the year and absence of significant negative deviations led to ultraviolet index not exceeding 7. In summer, with the highest solar irradiance near the earth's surface, stable ozone content varying within average long-term values not more than by 0.2σ, prevented dangerous ultraviolet index values exceed. Therefore, no high or extremely high ultraviolet irradiation values were observed during the year.
2. Fabian, P. & Dameris, M. (2014). Ozone in the Atmosphere: Basic Principles, Natural and Human Impacts. Springer.
3. Dessler, A. (2005). The Chemistry and Physics of Stratospheric Ozone. International Geophysics Series. Vol. 74. Academic Press.
4. WOUDC. Station list. Kyiv-Goloseyev. Available at: https://woudc.org/data/stations/?id=498&lang=en (Accessed: 03.01.2019)
5. Belyavskiy, A., Grishchenko, V., Kruchenitskiy, G. et al. (1999). Empiricheskaya model dlya rascheta ultrafioletovoy obluchennosti po dannym izmereniy, vypolnennykh v khode Vtoroy Ukrainskoy Antarkticheskoy ekspeditsii [Empirical model for solar UV-irradiance calculation based on Second Antarctic Expedition data]. Naukovi pratsi UrkNDGMI. [Scientific papers of UkNDGMI], 243, pp. 30–36 (in Russ.)
6. Savenets, M., Dvoretska, I. & Kruchenitskiy, G. (2016). The method for prediction of total ozone and ultraviolet radiation over Ukraine based on satellite data. EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference 2016, 26–30 September, Darmstadt, Germany. Available at: https://www.eumetsat.int/website/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=ZIP_CONF_2016_S6_POSTERS&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Web (Accessed: 10.01.2019).
7. Iryna Dvoretska (Scient. chief). (2009-2011). Modernizatsiia ta vprovadzhennia systemy monitorynhu ozonovoho sharu i soniachnoi ultrafioletovoi radiatsii nad Ukrainoiu z metoiu operatyvnoho poperedzhennia naselennia pro mozhlyvi zagrozy: Zvit pro NDR №14/09. DR #0109U005310 [Modernization and implementation of total ozone and ultraviolet radiation system above Ukraine for the purpose of operational informing of population about possible threats: Report №14/09. SR № 0109U005310]. Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Institute. Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
8. Natsionalna dopovid pro stan navkolyshnioho pryrodnoho seredovysccha v Ukraini v 2003 rotsi [National report on the environment in Ukraine in 2003]. Available at: http://old.menr.gov.ua/docs/activity-dopovidi/Nac_dop_pro_stan_NPS/4_soe2003.pdf (Accessed: 16.01.2019). (in Ukr.)
9. NASA Ozone Watch. Available at: https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov (Accessed: 03.01.2019)
10. Savenets, M.V. (2016). [The features of temporal distribution of total ozone deviation]. Materialy dopovidei konferentsii molodykh vchenykh: Meteorolohiia, hidrolohiia, monitorynh dovkillia v konteksti ecolohichnykh vyklykiv siogodennia. [Materials of the Conference: Meteorology, Gidrology, Environmental Monitoring in the contecst of modern ecological issues], november 16–17, Kyiv, pp. 147–149 (in Ukr.)
11. Evtushevskyi, O.M. (2014). [Longitudinal Dependence of Seasonal Changes of Total Ozone Content in the Northern Midlatitudinal Atmosphere]. Ukrainskyi zhurnal dystantsiinoho zonduvannia Zemli [Ukrainian Journal of Remote Sensing], 3, pp. 49–58 (in Ukr.)
12. Khrgian, A.H. (1973). Fizika atmosfernogo ozona [The physics of atmospheric ozone]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat. (in Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.