Evaluation of recreational potential of Odesa Region’s beach zones
Among all the natural resources available in Odesa Region vacationists prefer beaches and associated entertainments. Quality and general ecological condition of the beaches in addition to the potential and actual beach capacity are key factors for tourist flow to Odesa Region and its socio-economic development. In order to substantiate the recreational and tourist development of the territory an economic and logistic evaluation of its resource base should be carried out. This will make it possible to determine an input tourist flow which dictates the volumes of required tourist infrastructure and material and technical facilities. The purpose of this study is to evaluate recreational potential of Odesa Region’s beach zones. To achieve this, all main natural and anthropogenic factors determining the recreational potential of the coastal zone were analyzed. The study is also based on scientific researches in the field of recreational and tourist activities made by well-known experts, on the existing regulatory frameworks and results of the authors' own research works. For the first time, recreational capacity and logistic potential of Odesa Region’s beach zones were estimated. Based on this estimation multiple conclusions about the most promising areas for future development of the recreation sector were made. It was determined that favorable climatic conditions, considerable length of beaches and other natural and recreational resources allow us to speak about good prospects of the Odesa Region’s coastal zone for various forms of recreation including thalassotherapy. In fact, thalassotherapy opportunity (first of all, beach recreation) is a very important factor of attractiveness for vacationists visiting the Odesa Region’s coastal zone. According to our research, Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Tatarbunarskyi and Lymanskyi districts are the most promising ones for recreational development. The total capacity of the beaches here even exceeds the districts' own population. Conducted recreational zoning of the Odesa’s Black Sea coast established that, based on the natural recreational factors, out of 9 recreational microdistricts only 3 of them may be classified as favorable, with 5 being relatively favorable and 1 – completely unfavorable. But, from the perspective of sea water quality, some microdistricts (Luzanivskyi and Arkadiyskyi) do not meet sanitary standards during the period of intense precipitation. It was found that there is a need for expansion of beach areas as well as a need for regulation and redistribution of the recreational and tourist flow. In order to increase recreational attractiveness of Odesa Region, regional and city administrations should pay more attention to the ecological conditions of beach areas of the Black Sea coast. The obtained results may be used by the Department of Culture and Tourism of the Odesa Regional State Administration, divisions of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine in order to assess the recreational potential of the Odesa Region’s beach areas.
2. Matsola, V.I. (1997). Rekreatsiino-turystychnyi kompleks Ukrainy [Recreational and tourist complex of Ukraine]. Lviv: IRD NAS of Ukraine Publ. (in Ukr.)
3. Topchiev, O.G. et al. (2003). Odeskyi rehion: pryroda, naselennia, hospodarstvo [Odessa region: nature, population, economy: education. manual]. Odessa: Astroprint. (in Ukr.)
4. Safranov, T.A. & Chuhai, A.V. (eds). (2017). Stan ta yakist pryrodnoho seredovyshcha Pivnichno-Zakhidnoho Prychornomoria [Status and quality of the natural environment of the Northwest Black Sea]. Odessa State Environmental University. Kharkiv: FOP Panov A.M. Publ. (in Ukr.)
5. Smirnov, I.G. (2008). Lohistyka resursnoi bazy turyzmu v konteksti yoho staloho rozvytku [Logistics of the resource base of tourism in the context of its sustainable development]. Visnyk DITB. Seriia: Ekonomika. [Bulletin DITB. Series: Economics], 12, pp.159–167. (in Ukr.)
6. Smirnov, I.G. (2009). Lohistyka turyzmu [Logistics of Tourism]. Kyiv: Znannya Publ. (In Ukr.)
7. Isachenko, V.D. (1980). Optimizatsiya prirodnoy sredy [Optimization of the natural environment]. Moscow: Mysl`. (in Russ.)
8. Berlinskiy, N.A., Tuzhilkin, V.S. & Kosarev, A.N. (2006). Izmenchivost’ gidrofizicheskikh poley i pridonnoy gipoksii [Variability of hydrophysical fields and benthic hypoxia]. In: Zaytsev, Yu.P. and Aleksandrov, B.G. (eds). Severo-zapadnaya chast' Chernogo morya: biologiya i ekologiya [North-western part of the Black Sea: biology and ecology]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, pp. 32-52. (in Russ.)
9. Loyeva, I.D. (ed.). (2008). Hidrolohichni ta heokhimichni pokaznyky stanu pivnichno-zakhidnoho shelfu Chornoho moria [Hydrological and geochemical indicators of the state of the north-western shelf of the Black Sea]. Kyiv: KNT Publ. (in Ukr.)
10. Safranov, T.A. & Katerusha, O.V. (2011). Osobennosty talassoterapii v pribrezhnoy zone Odesskoy oblasty [Features of thalassotherapy in the coastal zone of the Odessa region]. Vìsnik Odesʹkogo deržavnogo ekologìčnogo unìversitetu [Bulletin of Odessa state environmental university], 12, pp. 3–11. (in Russ.)
11. Safranov, T.A., Sapko, O.Yu. & Katerusha, O.V. (2011). [Recreational opportunities of the coastal zone of the Odessa agglomeration]. Materialy Vseukrainskoi naukovo-praktaktychnoi konferentsii “Ekolohiia mist ta rekreatsiinykh zon” [Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific Practical Conference “Ecology of cities and recreation areas”], 02-04 June. Odessa, pp. 44–49. (in Russ.)
12. Safranov, T.A., Cherkez, Ye.A. & Shatalin, S.M. (2018). [Assessment of the favorable territory of the Odessa region for the placement of landfills for solid household waste]. Ukrains’kij gidrometeorologičnij žurnal [Ukrainian hydrometeorological journal], 21, pp. 98–109. (in Ukr.)
13. Kostyk, V.V. (2014). Monitoring khimicheskogo sostava i svoystv peska Odesskikh pliazhei [Monitoring of the chemical composition and sand properties of Odessa beaches]. Naukovyi visnyk mizhnarodnoho humanitarnoho universytetu. Seriia: Medytsyna. [Scientific Bulletin of the International Humanitarian University. Series: Medicine], 6. pp. 71-74. (in Russ.)
14. Ukrainskiy, V.V., Kovalishina, S.P., Sytov, V.N. et al. (2010). Svechenie sine-zelenykh vodoroslei v Odesskom pryberezhye (iyul 2010 g.) [Flowering of blue-green algae in the Odessa coast (July 2010)]. Vestnyk Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey [Bulletin of the Hydrometeorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas], 1(11), pp. 109–115. (in Russ.)
15. Tuchkovenko, Yu.S., Ivanov, V.A. & Sapko, О.Yu. (2011). Otsenka vliyaniya beregovykh antropogennykh istochnikov na kachestvo vod Odesskogo regiona severo-zapadnoy chasti Chernogo morya [Assessment of the coastal anthropogenic sources impact on water quality in north-western part of Black Sea near Odessa]. Marine Hydrophysical Institute of NASU, Odessa State Environmental Un-ty. Sevastopol: SPC “EKOSI-Gidrofizika” (in Russ).
16. Tuchkovenko, Yu.S. & Sapko, O.Yu. (2017). [Assessment of the Coastal Anthropogenic pollution sources impact on water quality in north-western part of black sea near Odessa]. Vìsnik Odesʹkogo deržavnogo ekologìčnogo unìversitetu [Bulletin of Odessa state environmental university], 22, pp. 5–13. (in Russ).
17. Boychuk, Yu.D., Soloshenko, E.M. & Bugai, O.V. (2005). Ekolohiia i okhorona navkolyshnioho seredovyshcha [Ecology and Environmental Protection]. Sumy: VTD "University Book" Publ. (in Ukr.).
18. Pro zatverdzhennia Prohramy stvorennia sluzhby mistobudivnoho kadastru u skladi upravlinnia arkhitektury ta mistobuduvannia Odeskoi miskoi rady na 2013-2016 roky: rishennia Odeskoi miskoi rady vid 16.04.2013 №3320-VI [On Approval of the Program for the Establishment of a Urban Cadastre Service in the Architecture and Urban Development Department of the Odessa City Council for the years 2013-2016: the decision of the Odessa City Council dated 16.04.2013 #3320-VI. Available at: http://ombk.odessa.ua/ua/kadastrova-informatsiya / (accessed: 23 March 2019). (in Ukr.)
19. Kravtsiv, V.S., Hryniv, L.S., Kopach, M.V. et al. (2014). Naukovo-metodychni zasady reformuvannia rekreatsiinoi sfery [Scientific and Methodical Principles of Reformation of the Recreational Sphere]. Lviv: IRD NAS of Ukraine Publ. (In Ukr)
20. Vernigorova, N.V. & Poletayeva, L.M. (2016). Analiz yakosti pryberezhnoi zony pliazhiv Odesy [Analysis of the quality of the coastal zone of the beaches of Odessa]. Vestnyk Gidromettsentra Chernogo y Azovskogo morei [Bulletin of the Hydrometeorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas], 1(19), pp. 11–16. (in Ukr.)
21. Vernigorova, N.V. & Poletayeva, L.M. (2016). [Logistic potential of the beach zone of Odessa]. Materialy mizhnarodoi nauk. konf. molodykh vchenykh “Suchasnyi stan ta yakist navkolyshnoho seredovyshcha okremykh rehioniv” [Proceedings of the International science. conf. Young Scientists “Current status and quality of the environment of individual regions], 01-03 June. Odessa, pp. 54–56. (in Ukr.)
22. State Research Institute of Building Constructions (2011). DBN B.2.2-5:2011: Planuvannia ta zabudova mist, selyshch i funktsionalnykh terytorii. Blahoustrii terytorii [DBN B.2.2-5:2011: Planning and building cities, towns and functional territories. Improvement of territories]. Kyiv: Minregion of Ukraine. (in Ukr.)
23. Panchenko, T.F. (ed.). (2001). Mistobuduvannia. Dovidnyk proektuvalnyka [Town planning. Designer's guide]. Kyiv: Ukrarkhbudinform. (in Ukr.)
24. Donchenko, L.M. (2005). Otsinka pliazhnykh resursiv dlia rekreatsiinoho vykorystannia na prykladi Zaporizkoho Pryazovia [Estimation of beach resources for recreational use on the example of the Zaporizhzhya Azov Sea]. Heohrafiia i suchasnist [Geography and the present],13, pp. 129–135. (in Ukr.)
25. Herasymenko, V.G. & Yaromenko, S.H. (2015). Infrastrukturne zabezpechennya plyazhnoho hospodarstva kurortnoho mista [Infrastructure provision of the beach resort of the resort city]. Nauka i ekonomika [Science and Economics], 39, pp. 98–107. (in Ukr.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.