Recommendations for numerical modelling of suspended matter distribution during dredging works
The problem of estimating the distribution of suspended matter during dredging works is relevant due to the large volume of annual major and operational dredging activities in the ports of Ukraine constituting more than 4.5 million m3 of soil. The execution of dredging works is associated with the inflow of suspended matter into the marine environment having a negative impact on the marine ecosystem. The magnitude of the inflicted damage depends on the characteristics of a zone of increased turbidity and a reliable assessment of such characteristics makes it possible to determine the actual damage to be indemnified according to the current environmental legislation.
The numerical modelling of the suspended matter distribution is the easiest way that may be used for evaluation of the characteristics of the zone of increased turbidity. The possibility of obtaining solutions on more general grounds in comparison with analytical methods, much less time and cash to be spent than for field experiments and modern computer software allowed widespread implementation of research methods of such modelling.
The article is devoted to the study of the numerical model of suspended matter distribution during dredging works. It considers explicit, implicit and mixed finite-difference schemes for solving a stationary differential equation of turbulent suspended matter diffusion in the flat problem formulation. Several series of calculations have been performed for various model parameters based on which the obtained solutions have been analyzed, the assessment of the difference between the calculation results under different schemes has been done and the optimum parameters of the calculation grid have been proposed. The research presents some recommendations for numerical modelling of the suspended matter distribution in the water flow including: use of an explicit scheme; the number of jets in the excavated area should not exceed 3; the number of steps to the control opening – not less than 75; when using an implicit or mixed scheme it is necessary to introduce an adjustment in an unstable zone based on the total amount of matter accumulated into the opening until the final result is achieved.
2. Prozorov, A.A. (2000). Metodika rascheta zony korotkoperiodnogo vozdeystviya dampinga gruntov dnouglubleniya [Method for calculating the short-period impact of dumping of dredging grounds]. Abstract of Ph.D. Thesis. State Marine Design Institute Saint Petersburg. (in Russ.)
3. Goncharov, A.A. (1986). Issledovanie i modelirovanie protsessa rasprostraneniya vzvesi v morskoy srede pri sbrose grunta [Research and modeling of the process of the suspension distribution in the marine environment during soil dumping]. Abstract of Ph.D. Thesis. Oceanographic Institute. Moscow. (in Russ.)
4. Koterov, V.N. & Jurezanskaya, Ju.S. (2010). Modelirovanie perenosa vzveshennykh veschestv na okeanicheskom shelfe. Gorizontalnoe rasseyanie [Modeling of the transport of suspended substances on the oceanic shelf. Horizontal scattering]. Zhurnal vychisl. matem. i matem. fiz. [The Journal of Computed. Mat. and Mat. Phys], 50, pp. 375-387. (in Russ.)
5. Maslakov, O.V. (2005). Analiz rezultativ modeliuvannia perenosu domishok v blyzhnii zoni vidnosno tochkovoho dzherela v shelfovii zoni moria [Analysis of the results simulation of impurity transfer in the neighbor zone relatively pointwise sources in the shelf zone of the sea]. Meteorolohiia, klimatolohiia ta hidrolohiia [Meteorology, climatology and hydrology], 49, pp. 368-375. (in Ukr.)
6. Urasov, S.N. & Urasova, A.Ju. (2008). [Mathematical model of steady-state turbulent diffusion of suspended solids in water flow]. Visnik Odes’kogo deržavnogo ekologičnogo universitetu [Bulletin of Odessa state environmental university], 6, pp. 165-169. (in Russ.)
7. Urasov, S.N., Gorun, V.V. & Berlinskiy N.A. (2015). [Verification of the results of modeling of the suspension distribution in the soil dumping on a marine submarine blast]. Ukraïnsʹkij gìdrometeorologìčnij žurnal [Ukrainian hydrometeorological journal], 16, https://doi.org/10.31481/ uhmj.16.2015.04. (in Russ.)
8. Urasov, S.N. & Gorun, V.V. (2014). [Application of finite-difference schemes in modeling of unsteady turbulent diffusion of a suspension in a water stream]. Ukraïnsʹkij gìdrometeorologìčnij žurnal [Ukrainian hydrometeorological journal], 14, pp. 172-184. (in Russ.)
9. Kalinichenko, V.I., Urasov, S.N. & Gorun V.V. (2014). [Practical use of mathematical model of unsteady turbulent diffusion of a suspension in a water stream (MTP Kerch)]. Visnik Odes’kogo deržavnogo ekologičnogo universitetu [Bulletin of Odessa state environmental university],18, pp. 5-20. (in Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.