Irrigative assessment of Sasyk water quality
The transformation of the salt-water liman Sasyk into a fresh water reservoir through its separation from the sea by a dam and connection with the Danube by a canal caused certain ecological problems. One of them was that during the first decades the expected water irrigation conditions were not achieved because of salt infiltration from the bottom sediments. Use of high-salinity water led to soil salinization. As a result, Sasyk ceased to be considered as an object for irrigation purposes. At present, the process of Sasyk water quality formation stabilized and the need for land irrigation is still of great importance.
The authors of the researches devoted to solving the environmental problems of Sasyk classify the irrigation properties of water as average and maximum values of mineralization. However, these properties can change significantly over the year and therefore the water may belong to different irrigation categories (classes). The purpose of this study is to evaluate the irrigation properties of Sasyk water and their variability based on the hydrochemical observations conducted near the village of Trapivka, at base pumping station GNS-2 during warm periods of a year from 2007 to 2017.
The article presents an overview of different methods of irrigative water assessment and a detailed typification of the irrigative water using the water typification suggested by Aliokin O.A. The research includes the evaluation of the Sasyk water quality as per the studied methods. The authors discovered the fact that mineralization of Sasyk water during a warm period is within the 1-3 g/dm3 range in 90-95% of cases under study and only in 5-10% of those its value is less than 1 g/dm3. The ratio of main ions in Sasyk water may be of the following subtypes: IIa (30%), IIb (50%), ІІIb (10%) and ІІIc (10%). The mineral composition is mainly represented by the toxic salts such as NaCl, Na2SO4, MgSO4. Their content in the water does not exceed 2.0 g/dm3. Among the toxic salts NaCl is the one that prevails. Under normal conditions the mineralization of the water and the content of sodium and magnesium ions in Sasyk contribute to salinization and soil alkalinization. To provide safe irrigation of all types of soil using the water from Sasyk its chemical melioration and dilution with low-mineralized water is required. At present, the irrigative properties of Sasyk water (mineralization, composition of toxic salts and their concentration) allow its use of for irrigation of light, permeant and drained soils.
2. Kulibabin, A.G., Nezvinskii, A.F. & Kichuk, I.D. (1997). Ekologo-ekonomicheskiye aspekty orosheniya i ratsional'nogo prirodopol'zovaniya v zone Dunay-Dnestrovskoy orositel'noy sistemy Odesskoy oblasti [Ecological and economic aspects of irrigation and environmental management in the area of the Danube-Dniester irrigation system of the Odessa Region. Black Sea branch of Ukrainian Environmental Academy of Sciences.
Odessa. (in Russ.)
3. Vasenko, O.H. (Scient. chief). (2004). Rozrobka sotsialno-ekonomichnoho ta ekolohichnoho obgruntuvannia vidnovlennia hidrolohichnoho rezhymu ozera Sasyk. Zvit pro NDR (zakliuchnyi). DR 11/1180/19/2/ [Development of socio-economic and environmental justification for the restoration of the hydrologic regime of Lake Sasyk. Research report (final). SR 11/1180/19/2/]. Ukrainian Scientific Research Institute of Ecological Problems (USRIEP). Kharkiv. (in Ukr.)
4. Tymchenko, V.M. & Ivanova, N.O. (2012). Ekoloho-hidrolohichnyi pohliad na problemy lymanu Sasyk. [Ecological-hydrological view on the problems of the estuary Sasyk]. Materialy Vseukrainskoi naukovo-praktaktychnoi konferentsii “Lymany pivnichno-zakhidnoho Prychornomoria: aktualni hidroekolohichni problemy ta shliakhy yikh vyrishennia“ [Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conference “Estuaries of the north-western Black Sea: actual hydroecological problems and ways of their solution”], September 12-14, 2012. Odesa, pp. 147-150. (in Ukr.)
5. Ivanova, N.O. (2010). Tsvitinnia vody v Sasykskomu vodoskhovyshchi [Flowering water in the Sasykian reservoir]. Hidrolohiia, hidrokhimiia i hidroekolohiia [Hydrology, hydrochemistry and hydroecology], 2(19), pp. 185-191. (in Ukr.)
6. Slyusarev, V.N., Terpelets, V.I. & Shvets, T.V. (2014). Metodicheskiye ukazaniya po provedeniyu prakticheskikh zanyatiy po distsiplinye «Meliorativnoye pochvovedeniye» [Guidelines for conducting practical classes on the subject “Land-reclamation soil science”]. Krasnodar: KubSAU. (in Russ.)
7. Kostyakov, А.N. (1960). Osnovy melioratsii [Basics of land reclamation]. Moscow: State of Agricultural Literature. (in Russ.)
8. Zanosova, V.I. & Molchanova, T.Ya. (2017). Otsenka kachestva podzemnykh vod i stepeni ikh prigodnosti dlya orosheniya [Assessment of groundwater quality and degree of their suitability for irrigation]. Vestnik Altayskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Altai State Agrarian University]. № 6 (152). (in Russ.)
9. Zaydelman, F.R. (2003). Melioratsiya pochv [Soil Reclamation]. 3rd ed. corrected and add. Moscow: Publishing House of the M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University. (in Russ.)
10. Arinushkina, E. V. (1970). Rukovodstvo po khimicheskomu analizu pochv [Manual on chemical analysis of soil]. 2nd ed., revised and enlarged. Moscow : Publishing House of Moscow State University. (in Russ.)
11. Zaydelman, F.R., Smirnova, L.F., Shvarov, A.P. & Nikiforova, A.S. (2007). Praktikum po kursu «Melioratsiya pochv» [Workshop on the course "Soil melioration"]. Moscow: Publishing House of the M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University. (in Russ.)
12. Astapov, S.V. (1958). Meliorativnoe pochvovedenie (praktikum) [Meliorative soil science (practical)]. 2d ed., revised and updated. Moscow: Agricultural literature State publ. (in Russ.)
13. Maksimov, V.M. (ed). (1979). Spravochnoe rukovodstvo gidrogeologa [Reference guide hydrogeologist]. 3rd ed. reclaiming and add. Vol. 1. Leningrad: Nedra. (in Russ.)
14. Alekin, O.A. (1970). Osnovy gidrokhimii [Basics of hydrochemistry]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat. (in Russ.)
15. Bezdnina, S.Y. (2013). Nauchnye osnovy otsenki kachestva vody dlya orosheniya [Scientific basis for assessing the quality of irrigation water]. Ryazan: The P.A.Kostychev RSATU Publ. (in Russ.)
16. Atdaev, S. & Akmamedov, B. (2012). Kachestvo vody glavnogo kollektora turkmenskogo ozera «Altyn Asyr» [Water quality of the main collector of the Turkmen lake “Altyn Asyr”]. International scientific and practical journal, 3-4, pp. 18-19. (in Russ.)
17. State Committee of Ukraine for Water Management. (1998). VND 33-5.5-02-97 Yakist vody dlia zroshennia: Ekolohichni kryterii [Water quality for irrigation: Environmental criteria]. Kharkiv (in Ukr.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.