Changes of weather conditions in Ukraine under climate changes
The paper analyzes spatiotemporal features the indices of hot, cold and precipitation that are related to weather conditions. The temperature in Ukraine tends to be higher, which is the main regional feature of global climate changes. The North Atlantic Oscillation had an influence on the precipitation in Ukraine – weather is rainier during its negative phases. Also, colder night and hotter days were more frequent during negative phases of the NAO. This fact can be explained by enhancing meridional flows in Ukraine. The wavelet analysis also revealed an impact of the NAO on temperature anomalies – positive phases determined increasing monthly minimum temperatures before the 1980s and decreasing ones after 1980s. Also, the wavelet analysis showed that the Nor-th Atlantic Oscillation influenced the precipitation in northern and southern parts of Ukraine in different ways.
2. Polonskiy A.B., Basharin D.V., Voskresenkaya E.N., Worley S. North Atlantic Oscillation: description, mechanisms, and influence on the Eurasian climate. Physical Oceanography, 2004, vol. 14, pp. 96-113.
3. Orlowsky B., Seneviratne S.I. Global changes in extremes events: regional and seasonal dimension. Climatic Change, 2012, vol. 110, pp. 669-696.
4. Serra C., Lana X., Burgueño A., Martínez M.D. Partial duration series distributions of the European dry spell lengths for the second half of the twentieth century. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 2016, vol. 123, pp. 63-81.
5. Forzieri G., Feyen L., Russo S., Vousdoukas M., Alfieri L., Outten S., Migliavacca M., Bianchi A., Rojas R., Cid A. Multi-hazard assessment in Europe under climate change. Climatic Change, 2016, vol. 137, pp. 105-119.
6. Klein Tank A.M.G., Wijngaard J.B., Können G.P., Böhm R., Demarée G., Gocheva A., Mileta M., Pashiard-is S., Hejkrlik L., Kern-Hansen C. et al. Daily dataset of 20th-century surface air temperature and precipitation series for the European climate assessment. International Journal of Climatology, 2002, vol. 22, pp. 1441-1453.
8. Vrublevskaia A.A., Gordeichuk O.P., Mirotvorskaia N.K. Statisticheskaya otsenka polya temperatury i osadkov s tsel’u vydeleniya klimaticheski odnorodnykh regionov na territorii Ukrainy [Statistical estimation of temperarture and precipitation fields with the purpose of separation of climatic homogeneous regions in Ukraine]. Meteorolohiya, klimatolohiya ta hidrolohiya – Meteorology, Climatology and Hydrology, 2001, vol. 44, pp. 3–9.
9. Loboda N.S., Glushkov A.V., Khokhlov V.N., Lovett L. Using non-decimated wavelet decomposition to analyse time variations of North Atlantic Oscillation, eddy kinetic energy, and Ukrainian precipitation. Journal of Hydrology, 2006, vol. 322, pp. 14–24
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.