Circulation conditions of strong and elemental wind over southwestern Ukraine
Introduction. Nowadays the problem of storm winds appears to be a very relevant one in those spheres of human activities related to safety of human living, coastal infrastructure, seafaring, aviation etc. One of the conditions for successful forecasting of strong winds is familiarization with wind characteristics of the study area and with synoptic conditions causing them. The below listed results of research form continuation of previous works for search of a better synoptic classification reflecting completeness of macroscale baric processes causing formation of winds, including strong winds, over the South of Ukraine and also providing an opportunity to forecast winds in a more accurate manner.
The purpose of this publication consists in analysis of interaction of large-scale atmospheric circulation with formation of unfavorable weather conditions (strong and very strong winds) on the north-west coast of the Black Sea.
Methods and results. The impact of storm winds is significant for functioning of the national economic complex of the North-Western Black Sea region. In order to investigate this effect there were fifty seven cases of wind amplification up to criterion of strong ≥ 15 m·s-1 and very strong ≥ 25 m·s-1 selected within the Odessa region during the period from October to March in 2011 – 2014.
Indexes of Katz circulation for isobaric surface of 500 hPa were calculated as per the data of synoptic archive for the cases with wind speed of ≥ 15 m·s-1. A more detailed study of the structure of macrocirculation processes under strong winds, except for Katz indexes, is provided by means of classification and calendar of successive change of elementary circulation mechanisms (ECM) in the Northern hemisphere according to Dzerdzeyevskyi B.L. and typification of synoptic processes developed at the Department of Theoretical Meteorology and Meteorological Forecasts of OSENU. It was determined that strong and very strong winds often occur in southern and central regions, particularly at the stations located on the shores of seas and estuaries (Bilgorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ust-Dunaysk, Pivdennyi port). Meridional type of atmospheric circulation (77.2%) creates favourable conditions for wind amplification in the North-Western part of the Black Sea up to the criterion of strong and very strong one, zonal type of circulation constitutes 22.8% from the total number of cases. Meridional type of circulation is mainly represented by mixed and western forms – (24.6%) and (22.8%) respectively. Main types of synoptic situations (5, 6) of Katz typification that used to cause strong winds were revealed. Most frequently strong wind was observed while moving of cyclonic vortexes from the South (ECM type – 12a, 13z) and in the area of cyclones and anticyclones interaction.
Conclusion. It was found that wind speed amplification in the South of Ukraine up to the criteria of strong and very strong one mainly occurs due to the meridional type of atmospheric circulation which is dominated by mixed or western forms of circulation as per Katz typification, ECM type 12a and 13z according to Dzerdzeyevskyi B.L. and types 5 (subtype 5.2) and 6 (all subtypes depending on ECM) as per synoptic typification of OSENU.
Directions for further research should include the following. The conclusions have preliminary character and need confirmation on the basis of bigger scope of statistical data.
2. Savter L.A. Stykhіynі hіdrometeorolohіchnі yavyshcha, shcho sposterіhalys' na akvatorіi Chornoho ta Azovs'koho morіv u 2014 r. [Severe weather in Azov and Black Sea basin at 2014]. Vestnik Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey - Bulletin of the Hydrome-teorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas, 2014, no. 2(17), pp. 13-16.
3. Іvus G.P., Semergey-Chumachenko A.B., Hurska L.M., Borodkіna M.V., Cherney D.S. Kharakterystyka suchasnoho vitrovoho rezhymu u pivnichnomu Prychornomor"yi [Present wind conditions on the Black Sea]. Zb. statey za materialamy students'koyi nauk. konf. ODEKU 14-17 kvitnya 2009 - Coll. Articles for science student. Conf. of OSENU 14-17 April 2009. Odessa: OSENU, 2009, pp. 15-20.
4. Nastanova po sluzhbi prohnoziv ta poperedzhenn' pro nebezpechni ta stykhiyni yavyshcha pohody [Guidelines for Service forecasts and warnings of hazardous weather and natural disasters]. Kyiv: The State Committee of Ukraine for Hydrometeorology, 2004. 31 p.
5. Іvus G.P., Semergey-Chumachenko A.B., Zamfіrov O.V. Korotka kharakterystyka vitrovoho rezhymu pivdnya Odes'koyi oblasti u 2005-2013 rr. [Brief description of wind conditions on the south of Odessa region in 2005-2013]. Vestnik Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey - Bulletin of the Hydrometeorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas, 2014, no. 2(17), pp. 73-80.
6. Ivus G.P., Semergej-Chumachenko A.B., Agayar E.V. Do problemy typizatsiyi synoptychnykh protsesiv nad pivdnem Ukrayiny v suchasnykh umovakh [To the problem of typing synoptic processes over the south of Ukraine in modern conditions]. Prychornomors'kyy ekolohichnyy byuleten' - Black Sea Environmental Bulletin, 2009, no. 2 (32), pp. 25-33.
7. Іvus G.P.,Semergey-Chumachenko A.B., Zubkovich S.O. Statystychni kharakterystyky shvydkosti vitru nad Skhodom Ukrayiny u sichni v epokhu klimatychnykh zmin [Statistical characteristics of wind speed over Eastern Ukraine in January at the time of climate change]. Fizychna heohrafiya ta heomorfolohiya - Physical geography and geomorphology, 2009, vol. 57, pp. 23-28.
8. Ivus G.P. Spetsializovani prohnozy pohody [Specialized weather forecast]. Odessa: TES Publ., 2012, 407 p.
9. Іvus G.P., Agayar E.V, Hurska L.M., Zubkovich S.O. Do pytannya pro typizatsiyu synoptychnykh protsesiv nad terytoriyeyu Ukrayiny [To the question of typing synoptic processes over the territory of Ukraine]. Vìsn. Odes. derž. ekol. unìv. – Balletin of Odessa State Environmental University, 2015, vol. 19, pp. 41-47.
10. Ivus G.P. Zubkovych S.O., Khomenko G.V., Kovallkov I.A. Conditions of formation zones of danqerous wind on the territory of Ukraine. European Applied Science, Europaische Fachhochsschule, 2014, ed. 10, pp. 59-64.
11. Іvus G.P., Hurska L.M., Pluzhnіchenko A.V. Vplyv tsyrkulyatsiyi atmosfery na pohodni umovy Pivnichno-Zakhidnoho Prychornomor"ya [The influence of atmospheric circulation to weather on Northwestern Black Sea]. Vestnik Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey - Bulletin of the Hydrometeorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas, 2014, no. 2(17), pp. 80-87.
12. Ivus G.P., Zubkovych S.O., Agayar E.V., Hurska L.M. To the question about typification of synoptic processed over territory of Ukraine. International Journal of Re-search In Earth and Environmental Sciences, 2015, vol. 03, no. 1, pp. 21-27.
13. Kononova N.K. Klassifikatsiya tsirkulyatsionnykh mekhanizmov Severnogo polushariya po B.L. Dzerdzeevskomu [Classification circulation mechanisms over the Northern Hemisphere by Dzerdzeevskiy]. Moscow: Voentekhinizdat Publ., 2009, 372 р. (Ed. Shmakin A.B.)
14. Rossby C. G. et al. Relations between variations in the intensity on the zonal circulation of the atmosphere and the displacements of the semlpermanent centers of action. Journal Marine Research, 1939, vol. 2, pp. 38-55.
15. Blinova E.N. Gidrodinamicheskaya teoriya voln davleniya, temperaturnykh voln i tsentrov deystviya atmosfery [The hydrodynamic theory of pressure waves, thermal waves and the centers of action atmosphere]. Dokl. AN SSSR - Report USSR Academy of Sciences, 1943, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 284-287.
16. Kats A.L. Ob izuchenii i otsenke obshchey tsirkulyatsii atmosfery [About the study and assessment the general circulation of the atmosphere]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya - Meteorology and Hydrology, 1954, no. 6, pp. 13-18.
17. Kats A.L. Indeks tsirkulyatsii kak pokazatel' zonal'nykh i meridional'nykh sinopticheskikh protsessov [Circulation Index as an indicator of the zonal and meridional synoptic processes]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya - Meteorology and Hydrology, 1959, no. 5, pp. 3-8.
18. Kats A.L. Sezonnye izmeneniya obshchey tsirkulyatsii atmosfery i dolgosrochnye prognozy [Seasonal changes of the general atmosphere circulation and long-term fore-casts]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1960, 270 p.
19. Petrosyants M.A., Gushchina D.Yu. Krupnomasshtabnoe vozdeystvie global'noy tsirkulyatsii atmosfery s temperaturoy poverkhnosti ekvatorial'noy chasti Tikhogo okeana [Large-scale impact of the global atmosphere circulation with the surface temperature of the equatorial Pacific]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya - Meteorology and Hydrology, 1998, no. 5, pp. 5-24.
20. Gushchina D.Yu., Arakelyan T.G., Petrosyants M.A. Svyaz' intensivnosti tsirkulyatsii v tsiklonakh umerennykh shirot s anomaliyami temperatury vozdukha i osadkov [The connection of circulation intensity off-tropical cyclones with anomalies of the air temperature and precipitation]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya - Meteorology and Hydrology, 2008, no. 11, pp. 5-20.
21. Dzerdzeevskiy B.L., Monin A.S. Tipovye skhemy obshchey tsirkulyatsii atmosfery i indeks tsirkulyatsii [Typical schemes of the general circulation of the atmosphere and the circulation of the index]. Izv. AN SSSR. Ser. geofiz. - Math. USSR Academy of Sciences. Ser. geophis., 1954, no. 6, pp. 562-574.
22. Zolotokrylin A.N., Konyaev K.V., Ezau I.N. Sravnenie sinopticheskoy i formal'noy klassifikatsii krupnomasshtabnoy tsirkulyatsii atmosfery Severnogo polushariya [Compare odds and synoptic-mal classification of large-scale compasstion of the atmosphere of the Northern Hemisphere]. Meteorologiya i gidrologiya - Meteorology and Hydrology, 1998, no. 2, pp. 34-44.
23.Naumova V.A., Voskresenskaya N.E., Evstigneev M.P., Evstigneev V.P. Shtormovye volny v Azovo-Chernomorskom basseyne kak regional'nyy otklik na krupnomasshtabnye protsessy v sisteme okean-atmosfera [Storm surges in the Azov-Black Sea Basin as a regional response to large-scale processes in the ocean-atmosphere system]. Mat. konf. «Hlobal'nі ta rehіonal'nі zmіny klіmatu» - Mat. Conf. "Global and regіonal climate changes", Kyyiv, 2010, pp. 43 - 45.
24. Savter L.A. Opys hidrometeorolohichnykh umov, yaki maly naybil'sh istotnyy vplyv na vyrobnychu diyal'nist' osnovnykh hospodars'kykh haluzey u 2011 rotsi [Description of meteorological conditions that have the most significant impact on industrial activity-ness of the main economic sectors in 2011]. Vestnik Gidromettsentra Chernogo i Azovskogo morey - Bulletin of the Hydrome-teorological Center of the Black and Azov Seas, 2011, no. 2(13), pp. 3-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.