Odessa Scientific Cluster for oceanographic research: current state and prospects
The paper presents an overview of the current state and prospects for development of oceanographic research that is performed at specialized institutions being the constituents of Odessa Scientific Cluster: The Ukrainian Scientific Center of Ecology of the Sea, the Institute of Marine Biology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the Odessa Area Branch of State Hydrographic Service of Ukraine, the Black and Azov Seas Center for Hydrometeorology, the Odessa State Environmental University and the Hydroacoustics Department of the S. I. Subbotin Institute of Geophysics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The priority tasks in the field of Oceanology, defined at the First All-Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Congress having being held in Odessa on 22-23 March 2017 are formulated. It is concluded that after Ukraine had lost the Crimean Scientific Oceanographic Cluster, the Odessa Cluster remained the only center in Ukraine which structural units had practical experience in marine research, scientific potential, scientific and methodological developments, an infrastructure for implementation of the tasks of the Maritime Doctrine of Ukraine for the period of up to 2035 as regards the issues related to oceanographic support for the maritime economic activity and sustainable development of Ukraine as a maritime nation. However, a necessary precondition for this is enhancement of the system for organization of oceanographic research at the state level and proper resource support for development of the scientific and technical potential.
2. Alexandrov B., Arashkevich E., Gubanova A., Korshenko A. Black Sea monitoring guidelines: Mesozooplankton. Secretariat of commission on protection of the Black Sea against pollution. Istanbul, 2015. 31 p. http://emblasproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ Manual_mesozooplankton_EMBLAS_ann.pdf
3. Kurilov A. Black Sea monitoring guidelines: Microzooplankton. Secretariat of commission on protection of the Black Sea against pollution. Istanbul, 2015. 31 p. http://emblasproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ Manual_microzooplankton _EMBLAS_ann.pdf
4. Minicheva G., Afanasyev D., Kurakin A. Black Sea monitoring guidelines: Macrophytobenthos. Secretariat of commission on protection of the Black Sea against pollution. Istanbul, 2015. 76 p. http://emblasproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/ 12/Manual_macrophytes_EMBLAS_ ann.pdf
5. Alexandrov B., Minicheva G., Zaitsev Ya. Black Sea network of marine protected areas: European approaches and adaptation to expansion and monitoring in Ukraine. Management of Marine Protected Areas: A Network Perspective, 2017, pp. 227 − 246. (Eds: P. Goriup. John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
6. On Hydrometeorological Activity: The Law of Ukraine no. 443-XIV of 18 February 1999. Bulletin of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (VVR), 1999, no. 16, art. 95. http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/443-14. (accessed: 22.05.2017).
7. Chernyshev M. P. Kratkaya istoriya razvitiya gidrometeorologicheskikh nablyudeniy i issledovaniy na Chernom i Azovskom moryah [A Brief History of the Development of Hydrometeorological Observations and Research at the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov]. Sevastopol: Preprint, 1966. 152 p.
8. Tuchkovenko Y. S., Sakhnenko O. I. Modeling of the wind waves transformation on the beach zone under the different variants of the wavebreaker reconstruction. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukr. hydrometeor. J., 2007, no. 2, pp. 175-185. http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/uk/ modelyuvannya-transformatsiyi-vitrovih-hvil-v-priberezhnij-zoni-morya-za-riznih-variantah-rekonstruktsiyi-hvilelomu/ (In Russian)
9. Tuchkovenko Y. S., Sakhnenko O. I. The modeling of the water dynamic on the beach zone under the different wave-wind conditions. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukr. hydrometeor. J., 2008, no. 3, pp. 202-212. http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/en/ category/2008-en/03-en/ (In Russian)
10. Tuchkovenko Yu. S. Mathematical Model for Calculation of Wind Currents in the Odessa Region of the Northwestern Part of the Black Sea. Meteorology, Climatology and Hydrology, 2002, no. 45, pp. 107-117. (In Russian)
11. Ivanov V. A., Tuchkovenko Yu. S. Prikladnoe matematicheskoe modelirovanie kachestva vod shel'fovykh morskikh ekosistem [Applied mathematical water-quality modeling of shelf marine ecosystems]. Marine Hydrophysical Institute of NASU; Odessa State Environmental University. Sevastopol, 2006. 368 p.
12. Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Ivanov V. A., Sapko О. Yu. Otsenka vliyaniya beregovykh antropogennykh istochnikov na kachestvo vod Odesskogo rayona severo-zapadnoy chasti Chernogo morya [Assessment of coastal anthropogenic sources impact on water quality in north-western part of Black Sea near Odessa]. Marine Hydrophysical Institute of NASU; Odessa State Environmental University. Sevastopol, 2011. 169 p.
13. Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Ilyushyn V. Ya., Komorin V. N. Modelling of Sediment Transport in the Kerch Strait. Meteorology, Climatology and Hydrology, 2005, no. 49, pp. 446-459. (In Russian)
14. Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. Results of adaptation of the Delft3D-FLOW model to the conditions of the Tyligulskyi estuary. Vìsn. Odes. derž. ekol. Unìv. - Bull. of OSENU, 2014, vol. 18, pp. 164-174. http://bulletin.odeku.edu.ua/en/category/2014-en/18-en/ (In Russian)
15. Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. V., Loboda N. S. Estimation of the influence of water exchange with the sea conditions on the water level and salinity variability in the Tyligulskyi Liman lagoon. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukr. hydrometeor. J., 2015, no. 16, pp. 232-241. http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/en/category/2015-en/16-en/ (In Ukrainian)
16. Kushnir D. V., Tuchkovenko Yu. S. Results of Modelling for the Sanding up of ‘the Tiligul Liman - the Black Sea’ Connecting Canal being Reconstructed. Current Environmental State and Quality of Particular Regions: Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference for Young Scientists (Odessa, 1-3 June 2016). Odessa: TES, 2016, pp. 124-128. (In Ukrainian)
17. Sukhovey V. F., Ruban I. G. The structure of Antarctic Circumpolar Current at Drake Passage and interannual variability of its transport. Vìsn. Odes. derž. ekol. Unìv. - Bull. of OSENU, 2009, vol. 7, pp. 203-209. http://bulletin.odeku.edu.ua/en/category/2009-en/07-en/ (In Ukrainian)
18. Tuchkovenko Yu. S. Development of Components for the National System of Marine Forecasts in Ukraine. Abstracts of the First All-Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Congress with International Participation (Odessa, 22-23 March 2017). Odessa: TES, 2017, pp. 310-311. (In Ukrainian)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.