Evaluation of influence of irrigation using the resources of donor river (the Dniester) on characteristics of the annual water runoff of the Baraboy River
The article assesses the characteristics of the annual runoff of the Baraboy River (the Odessa Region), which remains unexplored from the hydrological point of view, under natural conditions and those affected water-related activities, on the basis of the «climate-runoff» model.
The main factors of anthropogenic impact on the hydrological regime of the Baraboy River include a large number of artificial reservoirs and intensive irrigation of agricultural areas using the water resources of the Dniester River. The paper presents estimations of changes of the natural runoff of the Baraboy River in the presence of artificial reservoirs and irrigation using the resources of the donor river (the Dniester). It is shown that, under natural conditions of runoff formation, the river would have to dry out during dry and extremely dry years. Additional evaporation from the surface of artificial reservoirs contributes to a decrease of the annual runoff. Following the use of the «climate-runoff» model it was established that waste waters entering the riverbed from agricultural lands irrigated using the water resources of the donor river (the Dniester) can substantially increase the actual runoff of the Baraboy River at its mouth (by 10-30% for a several years' period, depending on the scale of water management alterations). It is substantiated that the flow of return water, if different real areas of irrigation are taken into account, exceeds the loss of the runoff resulting from additional evaporation from the surface of artificial reservoirs. Donor irrigation provides stable parameters of river runoff during dry and extremely dry years. The disadvantage of donor irrigation is that it causes the effect of land flooding. The «climate-runoff» model allows optimization of the water management alterations ensuring the most efficient use of agricultural land, depending on the extent of its irrigation, its location within the basin, selection of main crops that need irrigation. Therefore, the next stage of research is evaluation of the quality of groundwater within the basin of the Baraboy river under conditions of donor irrigation.
2. Shvebs, G.I. (Ed.). (1979). Priroda Odesskoy oblasti. Resursy, ikh ratsional'noe ispol'zovanie i okhrana [The nature of the Odessa region. Resources, their rational use and protection]. Kiev: High School Publ. (in Russ.)
3. Topchiev, O.G. (2012). Odeskyi rehion: peredumovy formuvannia, struktura ta terytorialna orhanizatsiia hospodarstva. [Odessa region: preconditions for the formation, structure and territorial organization of the economy]. Odessa: Astroprint Publ. (in Ukr.)
4. Loboda, N., Bozhok, Yu. (2015). Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources of North-Western Black Sea Region. International Journal of Research in Earth and Envioronmental Sciences, 02(9), 1-6.
5. Loboda, N.S. (2005). Raschety i obobshcheniya kharakteristik godovogo stoka rek Ukrainy v usloviyakh antropogennogo vliyaniya [Calculations and generalizations of the characteristics of the annual runoff of the rivers of Ukraine under anthropogenic influence]. Odessa: Ecology Publ. (in Russ.)
6. Onufrienko, L.G., Voloshin, I.I. (1986). [Determination of the annual runoff of the rivers of Ukraine and Moldova]. Trudy UkrNII Goskomgidrometa [Proceedings of UkrSRI State Comitee of Hydrometeorological Survey], 217, 3-20. (in Russ.)
7. Strelets, B.Y. (1987). Spravochnik po vodnym resursam [Handbook on water resources]. Kiev: Harvest Publ. (in Russ.)
8. Shereshevskiy, A.I., Vishnevskiy, P.F. (1997). [Norm and variability of annual river runoff in Ukraine]. Gidrobiologicheskiy Zhurnal [Hydrobiological Journal], 03, 81-91. (in Russ.)
9. Rozhdestvenskiy, A.V, Lobanov, A.G. (1984). (Eds). Posobie po opredeleniyu raschetnykh gidrologicheskikh kharakteristik [Manual for the determination of calculated hydrological characteristics]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat Publ. (in Russ.)
10. State Committee of Ukraine for Water Management. (1992). Pasport reki Baraboy [The passport of the river Baraboy]. Odessa. (in Russ.)
11. Regional Scientific Center for Water Policy «Phoebus». (2010). Koryhuvannia pravyl ekspluatatsii vodoskhovyshcha kompleksnoho pryznachennia. Vodohospodarskyi pasport i pravyla ekspluatatsii Baraboiskoho vodoskhovyshcha v Biliaivskomu raioni Odeskoi oblasti [Adjustment of the rules of operation of the reservoir of the complex destination. The water managements passport and the rules of exploitation of the Baraboys reservoir in the Bilyaivsky district of the Odessa region]. Odessa. (in Ukr.)
12. State Committee of Ukraine for Water Management & State Design and Research Institute «Ukryuzhgiprovodkhoz». (2011). Pravila ekspluatatsii Sanzheiskogo vodokhranilishcha (korrektirovka 2011) [Rules for operating the Sanzheisky Reservoir (Correction 2011)]. Odessa. (in Russ.)
13. Palamarchuk, M.M., Zakorchevna, N.B. (2001). Vodnyi fond Ukrainy [Water Fund of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Nika-Centr Publ. (in Russ.)
14. Kulibabin, A.G. (1997). Ekonomicheskiy analiz sovremen-nykh proektov optimizatsii vodopodachi i vodoraspredeleniya v oroshenii [Economic analysis of modern projects to optimize water supply and water distribution in irrigation]. Odessa: “Konsalting” Publ. (in Russ.)
15. Gopchenko, E.D., Loboda, N.S. (2005). Vodnye resursy severo-zapadnogo Prichernomor'ya (v estestvennykh i narushennykh khozyaystvennoy deyatel'nost'u usloviyakh) [The water resources of the north-western Black Sea coast (in natural and economic conditions violated by economic activity)]. Kiev: KNT Publ. (in Russ.)
16. Loboda, N.S., Gopchenko, E.D. (2006). Stokhastychni modeli u hidrolohichnykh rozrakhunkakh [Stochastic models in hydrological calculations]. Odesa: Ecology Publ. (in Ukr.)
17. Loboda, N.S. (2004). [The system approach and the functions of the response of the hydrological system to anthropogenic influences in the mathematical modeling of domestic runoff]. Meteorolohіya, klіmatolohіya ta hіdrolohіya [Meteorology, climatology and hydrology], 48, 416-424. (in Russ.)
18. Tuchkovenko, Yu.S., Loboda, N.S. (Eds). (2014). Vodni resursy ta hidroekolohichnyi stan Tylihulskoho lymanu [Water resources and hydroecological state of Tiligulskiy Liman]. Odesa: TES Publ. (in Ukr.)
19. Loboda, N.S., Gopchenko, E.D. (Eds). (2016). Vodnyi rezhym ta hidroekolohichni kharakterystyky Kuyalnytskoho lymanu [Water regime and hydroecologacal characteristics of Kuyalnitskyi Liman]. Odesa: TES Publ. (in Ukr.)
20. Ministerul Dezvoltării Regionale şi Construcţiiloral Republicii Moldova. (2012). CPD.01.05-2012: Opredelenie gidrologicheskikh kharakteristik dlya usloviy respubliki Moldova [Determination of hydrological characteristics for the conditions of the Republic of Moldova]. Chișinău, Moldova. (in Russ.)
21. State Research Institute of Building Constructions (2014). DBN V.2.4 : Vyznachennia rozrakhunkovykh hidrolohichnykh kharakterystyk [DBN V.2.4 : Determination of calculated hydrological characteristics]. Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.